An immediate denture is a complete denture that is inserted at the time the remaining teeth are removed.
Instructions for home care following placement of an immediate denture:
- Reduce your usual activities for a few days until the possibility of bleeding has diminished.
- Do not remove dentures for any reason for the first 24 hours.
- Apply an ice pack for 30 minutes and off for 30 minutes to the skin on the side of the face where the teeth were extracted (pulled).
- After 24 hours, you may remove the dentures and rinse them with warm salt water (1/2 teaspoon table salt in an 8 ounce glass of warm water). Replace your dentures immediately after rinsing.
- You should see your dentist for an adjustment within a few days after surgery.
- If you have sore spots – see your family dentist for adjustments
Maintain a soft or liquid diet for 3 to 5 days following placement of the denture.